Teeth Whitening Benfleet

Practice Open Today : Closed

Tooth whitening can be a very effective way of lightening the natural colour of your teeth without damaging the tooth itself.

There are two main types of tooth whitening.

Professional In Chair Teeth Whitening

This form of tooth whitening is completed in the dental surgery and will be fully supervised by the dentist, but it may be a hygienist or therapist who completes the treatment. First a rubber shield or gel will be put on your gums to protect them and then a whitening product will be applied to your teeth. You will then sit in the chair with a light directed at your teeth, this helps to speed up the whitening reaction and can give results of up to 2 or 3 shades whiter teeth in one session. Most patients may also need a course of home teeth whitening for better results.

At Home Teeth Whitening

Teeth WhiteningAt Home Teeth Whitening, involves taking impressions and making moulds of your teeth to create whitening trays. These are then worn at home, normally at night, for a period of 2-3 weeks. This allows you to fit the whitening around your own schedule.

The darker your teeth, the longer your teeth will take to get lighter, but your dentist will be able to advise you on the expected time frame.

Sensitivity of teeth is the most common side effect of teeth whitening. This usually occurs around the necks of the teeth where the gums have receded. If you are experiencing any sensitivity you should stop bleaching your teeth for a few days. It is advisable when whitening your teeth to use a sensitive toothpaste to help protect your teeth and reduce any discomfort.

Your smile will appear much brighter following the whitening and this can help to improve confidence and self-esteem.

The effects of teeth whitening should last for up to 3 years, but will be dependent on your diet and lifestyle factors example smoking.

Refill gels can be readily purchased when you visit the dentist to enhance the whitening effect of your teeth if desired.

Remember teeth whitening should only be carried out by a registered dental professional. For more details please go to the GDC website www.gdc-uk.org

  • Tweets

  • Facebook

  • Ask Dentist