Regular appointments ensure that you keep your teeth healthy and looking their best
Your dental exam is designed to help ensure that you keep your teeth and gums as healthy as possible. Your dentist will inform you how often you need to attend for dental exams. This can vary between 3 months and a year depending on a number of risk factors.
At each appointment the dentist will:
- Perform a full assessment of your teeth and gums.
- Look for any early signs of gum disease or areas of dental decay.
- Perform mouth cancer screening. If they see anything of concern, they will refer you to the hospital for further investigation.
- Take x-rays to assess your tooth roots, the health of the bone in your jaw and any decay which may be present between teeth or under crowns and fillings.
- Ask lifestyle questions and offer advice on changes to your lifestyle that will help to improve your dental health.
Although sometimes seen as a chore, in the long term, regular attendance can help to save you from any large dental bills! Should you require any further treatment the dentist will provide you with a full written treatment plan detailing the options available to you. Feel free to ask questions if there is anything that you do not understand.
Dental examinations reduce dental costs–save money in the long term, by ensuring that any problems are identified early and treated quickly
Dental examinations help prevent decay– removing plaque and calculus with regular cleanings can help reduce the risk of developing tooth decay and can help to keep gum disease under control
Dental examinations can boost your overall health –you can help lower your risk of developing conditions such as heart disease and stroke by ensuring you look after your oral health