Root canals are performed to save teeth and are a procedure designed to relieve pain. If the pulp of your tooth becomes infected or damaged, then root canal treatment is carried out to remove the pulp.
The dentist will open up your tooth under local anaesthetic and will remove any damaged tissue relieving you of all pain and discomfort. You will find that being in need of the procedure is more painful than the actual root canal treatment.
Once the affected tissue is removed by your dentist, you will not have to worry about the pain and discomfort stemming from infected pulp or about the infection getting worse.
The tooth may feel sensitive for a couple of days following root canal treatment, but this can normally be controlled using over the counter pain killers and you should be able to return to your normal activities the following day.
The tooth’s nerve is not vitally important to a tooth’s health and function.
The presence or absence of a nerve will not affect the day to day functioning of the tooth.
You will likely be able keep your natural tooth for the rest of your life, pending injury or other dental issues. Damaged pulp is replaced by a rubber like material called gutta percha and once the procedure is complete, usually after one or two appointments, you can have your tooth restored with a crown or filling. You will be able to resume your everyday oral habits, such as chewing, brushing and flossing.
Benefits of root canal treatment
- Saves tooth – if left untreated the infection in the pulp of a patient’s tooth can cause the tooth structure to deteriorate. This means that the tooth will eventually become unsalvageable and will need to be extracted.
- Reduces Pain - root canal treatment will help to alleviate the pain and discomfort, by removing the infected pulp and nerve.
- Prevents abscess forming – in the early stages an infection can be painless, by undergoing root canal treatment at this stage the patient can prevent the formation of a painful abscess.
- Improves oral health – If left untreated the infection in the tooth can spread from the mouth into other parts of a patient’s body. Undergoing root canal treatment is a proactive way to protect their health and maintain their smile.
- Maintains confidence and self-esteem – with root canal treatment there is no need to worry about an un-slightly gap or expensive implant treatment to replace a missing tooth. Your patient’s smile will remain intact and looking its best.
roWhile the thought of having to get a root canal may put you on edge, the treatment itself is a solution to a problem. Modern root canals are effective and comfortable to undergo.
At Benfleet Dental Centre, we are always sensitive to your pain and anxiety about going to the dentist. We’ll take the time to explain the procedure and recommend the best options. Once your tooth is treated, take excellent care of your smile with daily brushing and flossing and be sure to see your dentist regularly. Call 01702 557766 to book a consultation appointment today!
Contact us to make an appointment
Related news from the practice
Visit the practice
Benfleet Dental Centre
8 Benfleet Road, Benfleet. SS7 1QB
|Monday||08:00 - 17:00|
|Tuesday||08:00 - 18:30|
|Wednesday||08:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday||08:00 - 17:00|
|Friday||08:00 - 17:00|
|Saturday||09:00 - 14:00*|
|*By appointment only|